6 Must-See Free Attractions in Washington D.C.
If you’re planning a visit to the nation’s capital, there are some iconic sites that you won’t want to miss and many of them are absolutely free!
• The National Mall: The National Mall is the location of many famous monuments and memorials. You can even catch a view of the White House near the Washington Monument. The best view is from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, which overlooks the reflecting pool with the National Monument standing tall on the opposite side.
• Smithsonian Institution: This is the world’s largest museum and research complex. Whether you’re into modern art, astronauts or mummies, you’ll find a museum that suits your tastes.
• National Zoo: More than 1,500 animals across 300 different species call this home. It’s an awesome place to spend an afternoon, especially if you are traveling with children. It’s free and open every day of the year, except Christmas Day.
• U.S. Capitol: Take a free tour of the capitol building. Book ahead at the www.visitthecapital.gov website to get the days and times of your choice.
• Arlington National Cemetery: A must-visit for every American. Witness the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
• Washington National Cathedral: This spiritual home to several U.S. Presidents has lots of history. Even if you’re not religious, it’s worth a visit for its stunning beauty and architecture.